Wednesday, May 19, 2010

The Slightly More Than Half Truth

I saw an article on the CBS News website about Facebook Security. The article quoted a security expert who claims that 40% of all Facebook profiles are fictitious. Let me say that again. 40% of all Facebook profiles are fictitious. I don't remember the name of the expert but he was quoted by CBS in his capacity as an expert so he must know what he is talking about, right?

It got me thinking. Which 40% of my Facebook profile is fictitious? Clearly the parts about my stunning good looks and superior mental abilities are exaggerated if not completely false but that only accounts for about 35% of my profile content. There is another 5% made up, presumably, of bald faced lies that is still unaccounted for.

I am wondering if that elusive 5% is fictitious not because I reported information that is false but because I conveniently omitted vital information that is true?

Until this situation is resolved I want to assure all my Facebook friends that statistically speaking I am still 60% factual. I just hope that is enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment